[TowerTalk] Bencher Skyhawk

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bencher Skyhawk
From: ac9s@mchsi.com
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 01:30:15 +0000
"I'm considering the purchase of a Bencher Skyhawk.  Anyone ever used
one?  Pleased?  Not pleased?  Any serious issues?
Tnx for sharing your opinions.
Jerry
K7LY
Lake Havasu City, AZ"

I had one up for 4 or 5 years.  The boom broke in a big ice storm a couple of
years ago.  I thought the performance was excellent, good gain and fb across
each of the bands.  I particularly liked the two part boom to mast plate -
made attachment to the mast an easy task at the top of the tower.  If you are
not subject to ice it might be an excellent antenna.  Bencher made a big deal
of the antenna not needing a boom truss, but I feel that is the reason the
boom broke.  I have a number of close ham friends - within a quarter of a mile
and a th-7, and two small Mosley tri-banders came through the same ice storm
just fine.  Also - the elements are fairly small diamenter.  All of the 20
meter elements had permanent "sets" as a result of the ice load.  Again -
probably wouldn't be an issue in an ice free environment, but the neighbors
didn't have any deformation on their antennas.

Keith
AC9S