Re: [TowerTalk] remote enclosures for electronics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] remote enclosures for electronics
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:40:50 -0500
I have had good luck (admittedly, in a benign climate where the
temperatures rarely get below zero F or over 100) with large translucent
plastic tubs made by Rubbermaid - the ones with the opaque lids and locking
handles.  I have had 2 of these hung vertically on the base of my tower for
several years, covering antenna matching and switching systems mounted on
aluminum plates cut from discarded traffic signs (available free at my
local highway department garage).  I bring the cables in through a plastic
refrigerator container lid that is slit and glued with silicone caulk over
a hole in the bottom.  Far from airtight, but rain and snow-proof, a cloth
bag full of mothballs seems to keep the critters out, and there are no
indications of any water vapor accumulation.  For $3-5 each these
enclosures are hard to beat.

73, Pete N4ZR