Re: [TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezing

To: <k2hk@arrl.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezing
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:27:36 -0500
Hi

 Not sure which model or revision you have but assume it's the older aluminum
box encased motor unit.
The ring rotor is a basic electro/mechanical unit and it's weak line is it's
positioning " POT"  there are two I call them the black ones and the blue one's
. The blue ones are the latter and less susceptible to moisture invasion
compared to the black ones, both are the weak links in a EMF strike but that's
another story.

The " failure FREEZE " indicates to me Moisture  there are no relays in the
unit only the "POT"
remove the wires from the in shack control box ( when it's frozen up ) #4 is CW
#6 is CCW  and #5 is the wiper
The pots is 500 OHM  so a simple wire wring out OHM check between #4,#5,#6 will
determine if it is in fact your thermal failure.

 Carl usually has replacements POTS.

 Wayne W3EA