Re: [TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezing

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezing
From: Howard Klein <k2hk@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:13:54 +0000
HK> From: john@kk9a.com> To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com> CC: k2hk@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezing> Date: Mon, 24
Nov 2008 18:57:19 -0500> > I had that problem at my station in Illinois and it
was most prevalent when > the temperature was just below freezing. In my case
it was moisture in the > potentiometers. I did all I could to make the units
seal the shafts and > then I installed a small silicone heating element in each
motor housing. I > don't recall the model of the heating element that I used
and unfortunately > that information is not conveniently located right now. It
was small and > thin with an adhesive back and a separate thermostat also with
an adhesive > back so installation was easy, except for running power to it. I
never had > a cold weather related problem after installing the heaters.> >
John KK9A> > > > > To: <towertalk@contesting.com>> Subject: [TowerTalk]
Preventing tic ring motor from freezing> From: Howard Klein
 Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:51:33 +0000> > > I need some ideas for preventing my
Tic Ring motor from freezing. For the > past> three years every time the
temperature falls below freezing my Tic Ring > stops> working. Other times it
works perfectly. Maybe I got the tropical version > :-).> I don't believe it is
associated with water entering. It is sealed and this> occurs even when the WX
has been dry for days. Carl says there is no grease> inside. In any case I was
thinking of some type of heating strip used for> gutters or similiar. This
poses the problem of thermostat and supply voltage> problems.> It has become a
fairly accurate way of knowing the temperature...32 F stops> working, 33 F
works FB. Any ideas?> Howard..K2HK> > > > HK >