Re: [TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezing

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preventing tic ring motor from freezing
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:25:39 -0500
TIC has changed their design numerous times, perhaps eliminating or creating
problems along the way.  With my six rotators, I have never had a problem
with alignment or with the gear slipping on the shaft, although with that
small of round shaft it is certainly possible.  I have had moisture related
problems with the potentiometers, and an occasional burned up motor, hash
filter and potentiometer from direct lightning strikes.  I am curious what
the bypass filters do on the potentiometers.  None of my units have them and
I have not had an RF related problem with the pots.  I had considered
installing MOVs on the potentiometers and motors to possibly minimize
lightning damage.

John KK9A