Re: [TowerTalk] LM-470 at 100 MPH

To: k6zz@ccis.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LM-470 at 100 MPH
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:11:54 -0800
Bob Selbrede, K6ZZ wrote:
> Obviously true, however the building department won't look
> at it that way.  They'll want to see an
> analysis/certification showing the conditions under which
> the structure will meet the wind loading requirements.  They
> may accept my committment to "keep it cranked down when the
> winds are up", but I suspect not.  I'll find out soon
> enough.
>
> Bob

Bear in mind, also, that there's a big difference between "permanent
deformation of structure" and "catastrophic failure".. the engineering
analysis might show that you exceed the yield of the metal, which means
the tower gets "bent", but doesn't necessarily mean that it will
collapse into the neighboring pre-school impaling children with Yagi
elements.

On a guyed tower, failure of a guy or tower might well imply
catastrophic collapse (depending on design).

On a self supporter, though, there's a whole lot of room between "bend"
and "collapse"

You might well be able to get the city to sign off on an engineer's
analysis that "collapse" isn't going to happen at 100 mi/hr.  A few
hundred bucks to an engineer in your local jurisdiction might be money
very well spent.