Re: [TowerTalk] Some spectacular views of the abandoned Russian Woodpeck

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Some spectacular views of the abandoned Russian Woodpecker antenna array
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:19:45 -0800
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:00:19 -0600, Rob Atkinson wrote:

>The antenna had to
>have enough gain to develop a huge ERP because as over the horizon
>radar on HF, it had to put out a field strong enough to get a
>reflection from a relatively small surface (such as a missile)
>thousands of km distant.

The two curtains at the Mason, OH VOA site (just north of
Cincinnati) had gain on the order of 20 dBi, and were rather
broadband. One was pointed to northern EU, the other to southern EU.
>From I75, a few miles to the west, they looked like a very large
suspension bridge. This site also had a bunch of rhombics, with
about 3 dB more gain. Our EE class toured this site in 1963. There's
now nothing left but the building.

73,

Jim K9YC