Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain AV-640

To: "Bill Jackson" <k9rz@radiks.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain AV-640
From: <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 07:59:16 -0600
Bill,

I have an AV640...small lot, wrong sized trees in all the wrong
places...powerline...and will vouch that on 30 and 40 it is a very nice
antenna.  I've had very little experience on 10-20 with it due primarily to
conditions.

In short, I outperform most people on 30 and 40 with wire antennas.  Whether
the pile-up is in the Pacific, Africa, grayline to northern EU or LP to the
middle-east...with 800 to 1000 watts I'm usually in on my first call (not
ALWAYS, but usually).

When I get on 20...it's another story.  I haven't had enough time to play
with it on the upper bands due to my time and the propagation.  It's played
well on 10.

I think he'll do well having it up a bit.  I think Peter is steering you
right in suggesting some guys.  I don't have any on mine; it's on an 18'
foldover pole (4"/3") and has withstood 50+ mph winds, but why chance it.
The antenna does play better the higher you place it.

If you have concerns about stray RF on the coax (the unit has a current
balun in it) consider adding a good current balun behind it.  I have noticed
that I can saturate my balun in calling CQ long enough and will likely
replace the matching unit with separate 4:1 and 1:1 current baluns rated at
higher power.  This has only happened a handful of times and may be weather
dependent.

Hope this helps.
Art, KØRO