Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain AV-640

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain AV-640
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:21:45 -0500
Thanks Roger...   you must have received harder wind than
the weather service reported.  Here they said gusts were up
to 57 mph and at the Mt Pleasant airport they said at 5:55 SW
winds of 37 mph with Gusts of  48 mph.   I am sure that is way
off because there was WAY more wind that 48 mph on the
front as you suggest - here as there, also, I am sure.   I am
often amazed at how much variance there is between weather
service figures and those of the other sources - which vary
less among themselves - Govt deflation....I guess.

Interesting comments on the two pipe mast arrangement.
I am getting warm to the notion of a tip over arrangement, rather
than standing on the roof.  I am thinking I could build a 15-17 foot
tilt over water pipe that brackets/braces against the rafters/eaves
and puts the antenna up about 5-6 feet over the sloping roof.

I checked your web page and did not find a photo specifically
of the two pipe arrangement you used.  Did I miss it?

As for guy ropes, your mention of a 120° split means I could use
only three ropes, and, perhaps, I could tie it off to two sides or corners
of the roof, and put one on an 8 or 10 foot high mast or pole
I could stand next to a tree that is located about the angle
and distance away, and still avoid the neighbor kids and the
lawn service getting tangled up in it, and still provide a support in
that direction.  I had originally wanted to work with a four point
guy system, but maybe a three .is sufficient.

Thank you for the detailed information.
GOOD NEWS YOUR ANTENNA SURVIVED THE WIND
WITH NO PROBLEMS  - I think the wind was much stronger
than reported by the weather service.

Happy trails and 73.    ----  Richards - K8JHR ----

Roger (K8RI) wrote:

When the front went through we were looking at 40 to 50 mph winds
> with gusts well in excess of 60-65.

> That's pushing your luck without guys.

> I set up two pipes. with one about 10' and the other about 12'. Using a
> bracket I hinged the longer to the top of the shorter. I also had a
> bracket at the bottom so when the mast was upright, I could pin it in
> place.

> I should add the AV640 is VERY sensitive to nearby antennas on any of
> the bands it operates on.

> The manual has a section on this, but it states, 5 ' minimum.
> The drooping is not a problem

> The antenna is like a "wet noodle" in the wind, although it can handle
> 30mph without damage.

should be guyed at *roughly* 120 increments, but you