Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister not turning, still

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister not turning, still
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 04:08:23 -0500

Jim Hargrave wrote:
>  >This is why I'm wearing out thrust bearings.
>
> Well Roger,
>
> Nice photo, but If you would climb down from the tower, it would not be so
> heavy...(:->
> Sorry I couldn't resist.

Unfortunately it gets heavier every year too. <sigh><:-))
Well, actually I am trimming down a bit.

I'm replacing the thrust bearing at the top with a sleeve  that's just a
nice fit over the mast.  That will do a much better job of supporting
the mast side thrust and will not cause load changes on the rotator with
temperature changes.  I'm debating on just how long to make the sleeve,
but it's most likely going to be some where between one and two feet
long and a slip fit over the 2" mast (structural steel tube)  I may put
about 2" wide teflon liners at the top and bottom of the sleeve, plus
Silicone rubber covers to keep the water  and grease zerks to help keep
the paint on <:-))

I think I mentioned, the top UHF/VHF arrays may go.

With the temps being in the 50's and bright sun the past couple of days
I've been very tempted to get up there.  OTOH I still have over 6" of
snow in the yards with a couple of bare spots turning to mud.  With rain
on the way and the temps forecast to stay well above freezing for the
next three nights, I think most of the snow will be gone, but the mud won't.

On top of that I have two major computer upgrades I'm trying to finish
up, one of which was sold to me with a 3 Gig AMD 940 and the BIOS
doesn't want to recognize it or the 1066 memory.  So it runs really
slow. I gotta find a new BIOS update, but so far none on the Moboard site.

73

Roger (K8RI)