Re: [TowerTalk] 43' verticals

To: Barrie Smith <barrie@centric.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43' verticals
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:59:34 -0500 (EST)
Barry,

A well designed vertical can be an excellent antenna for longer distance night
time QSOs or close-in daytime ground wave QSOs on 80 and 160 meters; but its
hard to beat a low, horizontally polarized, full sized antenna for the
closer-in night-time QSOs via the ionosphere.  Even if its only 25 feet high, a
horizontally polarized antenna will work fairly well on 160 meters and very
well on 80 meters compared to an optimum horizontally polarized antenna about
1/4 wavelength high.

Since your horizontal antenna is very low, a 43 foot vertical might improve
your night time 80 meter coverage at 400-1000 miles out.  On 160 meters, the 43
foot vertical is likely to be a disappointment because its efficiency will be
poor, the voltage at the base will be very high (particularly with AM
modulation) and the close-in performance will be only fair.

Perhaps a more productive approach is to improve your horizontal antennas and
matching to make them more convenient to use.

73
Frank
W3LPL