Re: [TowerTalk] 43' verticals

To: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43' verticals
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:55:50 -0800
Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Richards <jruing@ameritech.net> wrote:
>

>>I am not sure what you mean by this... as the Cushcraft MA-160V is only
>>30 to 36 feet tall (adjustable stinger) and only has a 40 kHz bandwidth
>>on 160 meters.   The 43 footer is taller, and can be worked anywhere in
>>the band with a big outboard tuner.
>>

>With miserable efficiency!  The MA-160V could easily be substantially
>better, given the coax and balun losses inherent in the 43 foot vertical
>approach, even though, as you point out, the MA-160V is shorter.  But top
>feel like modeling the radiation resistance of a 43 footer vs. a top loaded
>36 footer... but it might be that the 36 footer wins.

I tend to agree, Dan.

Off the cuff, I would expect a 43 ft radiator with no top loading to
have a radiation resistance of 2 to 3 ohms. This would produce
acceptable results if you have a really good ground, but over a mediocre
ground I suspect the results to be disappointing.

With proper top-loading you could expect to get the radiation resistance
up to something like 6 ohms (perhaps higher if you use the technique
that Rick and Jim recommend ). That's a cheap 3dB when driving against a
mediocre ground.  Starting with a mediocre ground and putting lots of
radials down would probably buy another 3dB.

BTW, aren't the top-load verticals in N7JW's 28 element 160 meter array
in the Utah desert only 60ft tall? I know he has transmitting capability
at his house, but I thought he also trasnmitted from the remote site
w/100 watts.

73 Mike, W4EF..........