Re: [TowerTalk] Pull ropes in buried PVC

To: "'K0FA'" <k0fa@mchsi.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pull ropes in buried PVC
From: "Daron Wilson" <daron@wilson.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:00:12 -0700
I've pulled miles of stuff through pipe like this, the product you want is
referred to as "mule tape" (http://www.pacstrap.com/pullingtape.html) .  It
is a flat webbing available in a variety of widths and strengths.  On long
pulls I throw away miles of it, you can only keep so many 3000' rolls of
used muletape in the garage!  I use 1/2" for most stuff.

Rope or string is normally shot in so there is something in place.  Using
small diameter rope to pull usually gets you in trouble by burning the
inside corners (assuming you have some sweep elbows in there) making a
groove.  This is bad.  For 6", I wouldn't use anything less than 1/2" rope
and even then, you run the chance of burning.  Mule tape is flat and doesn't
do the damage that rope or string does.

It's pretty easy to leave a pull rope in with the product, the standard
cheap yellow poly rope is fine, actually slides pretty well.  Do NOT use
anything with a coil to it.  The famous one is the 'bucket of string' sold
at the electrical supply house.  This stuff is in a nice coil and comes out
looking like a slinky, making wrap after wrap around the various products
causing lots of friction and burning on the next pull.  Lay the product out
straight and pull it in without any memory coil to it.  I prefer the mule
tape for this as well, it's a great product with no twist or 'lay' to it.

One product real nice for this kind of deal is called MaxCell
(http://www.maxcellinnerduct.com/products_standard_4_3.asp)
It is a series of sewn mesh tubes that you pull in the first time.  Each
'sleeve' has a pull string in it, you pull a rope in that pull string, then
pull your product in.  Unlike using innerducts which take up space in the
conduit even if they are not used, this stuff just lays in there with as
many 'sleeves' as you want, and makes it fool proof to add the next run of
whatever you want.

Lubricate the run, can't say enough about this.  Find a water soluble lube
(you'll need a lot, so stay away from the stuff at the drug store that comes
in a small container) from the electrical supply house, Ideal makes a nice
clear one, Polywater makes some very good products that are clingy and
slicker than whale poop in an ice flow.  You can easily just pour the lube
in your hand and drag the product through it as it goes in if you are doing
one at a time.  No secret, keep the stuff slick so it goes in with no
issues.

Your mileage may vary, good luck!

73

Daron N7HQR

I wonder if anyone out there has looked into