Re: [TowerTalk] Pull ropes in buried PVC

To: "Glenn Thorne" <gathorne@traer.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pull ropes in buried PVC
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 03:53:41 -0000
Glen,

I striped the coax about 6 inches back and removed the center insulator. I
then twisted the center conductor and shield together. I inserted this thru
the rope braid about 6 inches from the end and folded it back and taped it
real tight with Duct tape around the rope, coax and the stripped end. I also
attached my permanent pull string so when I had the coax all the way
through, the pull string would be back in place. My pull string is actually
a small diameter nylon rope. I have not had any problem with it cutting into
the PVC mainly because I only use it to pull the ski rope into the pipe. it
is light weight and pulls easy.

It helps to lubricate the coax with a lubricant that will not harm the coax
outer cover. I have used silicon spray lube with good success. There are
probably some light weight grease that would work. The white marine lub is
probably safe also.

My tower is only 50ft high and I attached the cables to the legs with a 12
in length of #12 copper Romex, single strand with the insulation on it.  I
wrap this about every 4 ft coming down the tower. It does not turn lose with
the weather like electrical tape. and is easy to remove to change or add a
cable. My rotor is at the bottom so I don't have control cables going up the
tower. however I do have power going to my 2 meter rotor at the top. I have
a 14 element beam with a TV rotor that the boom is mounted through. It
rotate the antenna to vertical or horizontal polarization I use the orange
exterior electrical extension 3 wire cable for this and tie it along with
the coax cables. This beam is about 10 ft above the TH6DXX. My lightning
arrestor is a tri-band J pole for 144/220/440 and is grounded direct to the
mast. I have a total of 6 coax runs to various heights up the tower. My guy
wires are insulated to make slopers for 80/40/and 12 meters, all common fed
with one coax near the top about 8 ft below the TH6DXX.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *