Re: [TowerTalk] Ladderline. What Kind ?

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ladderline. What Kind ?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:54:44 -0700
The classic literature is full of practical instructions to build ladder
line. ARRL Handbook, ARRL Antenna Book, RSGB books, etc.

I have made spacers by cutting 1/2-inch PVC electrical conduit into short
pieces, then drilling holes for the conductors to pass through. There are
many other ways to do it. The equations for impedance vs wire size and
spacing are in those books. I just toured a coast radiotelegraph station
(KPH), built in the 20s by RCA, where transmission lines were constructed
of wires under tension between support poles that were perhaps 20 ft
apart.

Email lists should be an exchange of ideas, not a substitute for studying
the basic references and textbooks!  Jan gave you a good idea. You should
thank him, not berate him.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC