Re: [TowerTalk] Ladderline. What Kind ?

To: Robert Kirkland <alpha76@triton.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ladderline. What Kind ?
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:57:03 -0700
Robert;

I think this is more a personal choice. The stranded wire will be a
bit more flexible with all the benefits that technology brings. The
same arguments that apply to solid vs stranded wire for antennas apply
here.  From what I have seen,  one is just as good as the other. I
have used both; my preference is for real open-wire line, but that is
not nearly as easy to find now as it was 30 years ago. I currently
have an antenna up with solid ladder line. The wire is rather stiff
and seems heavy, especially in the wind. But it works very well. Why
did I use the solid? It came down to availability and price. It was an
older spool and was priced $20 less than the other spools.

So go with what you can find, and don't let it break the bank. And if
you feel like making your own open-wire, just ask yourself what is the
better use of your time, making the line or doing something else, and
whether you save money doing it one way or the other. Sometimes it is
better to do it yourself, sometimes not. But do get the antenna up in
the air and start experimenting! You will find that open-wire fed
antennas are very good and very flexible systems that can give you
years of excellent performance.

73!

On Apr 22, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Robert Kirkland wrote:

> Ladder Line comes in several types, # 12 stranded and / or #12
> copper weld.
> Which in your estimate is best, and why ?. Having never used it I
> would
> appreciate information on which one is best to buy and possibly
> where to buy
> it. It would be used in two States, Texas and Michigan. Texas is
> subject to
> heavy winds and Michigan has heavy ice in the winters.
> Bob, w5pvr

- Jack Brindle, W6FB