Re: [TowerTalk] 133' Vertical on 160?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 133' Vertical on 160?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 18:56:20 -0700
On Tue, 05 May 2009 20:45:08 -0500, K4SAV wrote:

>The fact that your results found them to be equal is interesting but not
>something that can be used as data.  Evaluating the difference between
>verticals is not easy when the expected answer is probably less than 3
>dB.

Jerry,

N6RK is a very smart engineer. He has a serious antenna farm and is a
serious contester. He knows how to compare antennas in a meaningful way by
switching back and forth repeatedly on many signals (and often listening in
diversity mode) during contests, paying careful attention to absolute signal
strength. I would put a lot of weight on his evaluations.

Now, we all know that the performance of one antenna relative to another can
be strongly influenced by terrain, and an antenna that is a winner at one
location can be a poor choice at another (or in certain directions). But
when Rick tells me that one antenna is a lot better than the other at his
QTH, I believe him!

73,

Jim K9YC