Re: [TowerTalk] Gas Generator for Field Day

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gas Generator for Field Day
From: Bob Allen <mcamp@gmavt.net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 20:14:32 -0400
Don't know if this has been around before but the Honda EU2000i, which
is a beauty of a generator (we just got one for FD), has been known to
put noise into low mounted vertical antennas (and possibly horizontals
if the circumstances are right) and require some filtering to make it go
away.
Search the web the answers are there.
 I know this because one of our club members borrowed the generator to
try it out as a power source for his motor home that has a screwdriver
antenna mounted ten feet above the ground on the roof and he got S7
noise all over the HF bands, didn't matter how close it was, he tried a
15' and a 200' cord.
Then he started looking around the net,appears it is a common enough
problem but apparently it can be fixed with a few ferrite toroids in a
box near the generator. Cheap fix considering the rewards, low noise,
miserly fuel consumption and for a few dollars you can make them run a
long time (extended run setup, you know, search the web it is there)
There are different sizes of this generator and it appears Yamaha has a
2800 watt one but I don't know anything about it.
Hope this wasn't too far off topic.

Bob
KB1FRW