Re: [TowerTalk] man lift tips over

To: Eugene Jensen <eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] man lift tips over
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 02:15:28 -0400

Eugene Jensen wrote:
> OSHA will have a field day with this and my thought to the man family. I

One of the first things we were taught was to never move the base with
the boom extended up.  That gives it a very high center of gravity.

The story is a bit misleading as it is more of a case of the one wheel
"falling through" an access cover than "running over" which gives the
impression the other side was raised.. It may have dropped only a few
inches, but with an arm that long raised that is one whale of a lot of
leverage and momentum.  And yes, I'm speaking from the experience of
rolling one over on it's side.

73

Roger (K8RI)
> just had my refresher class on these class machine's and interesting one
> point the instructor keep going over way walking the pass of the machine.
> Think about how these are used and they spend a lot of their time on work
> site with soft earth. So cave in is number 1 way for a collapse of these
> very heavy machines. 73 Gene K2QWD

Roll over...yes, they are easily rolled, but collapse. I've never seen
one collapse yet although I'm sure it's happened..

73

Roger