Re: [TowerTalk] Reply - KW3000 with 1/2 inch Drill Motor -Wrongassumptio

To: "'Dennis Vernacchia'" <n6ki73@gmail.com>, "'Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist'" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reply - KW3000 with 1/2 inch Drill Motor -Wrongassumption in responses
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:59:09 -0500
Maybe some confusion here? A typical AC/DC motor has the fields wired in
series with the armature. This allows the motor to run on either ac or dc
voltage as it does not depend on the rotating fields that AC provides in a
typical AC only motor.

With the series fields/armature a lower voltage will cause the motor to draw
more current and increase the torque. A light dimmer should work to control
speed.

A variable speed (variable frequency) drive will do nothing for the series
wired motor to control speed. It will work the same if it is operated on 60
Hz or 30 Hz or DC.

73
Gary  K4FMX