[TowerTalk] HFTA question

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HFTA question
From: "David J. Sourdis - HK1A" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:15:17 -0500

There's a hill that is about 27 meters (90 ft) above the flat surrounding
terrain. Caribbean sea shore is less than two kilometers from this hill.

I guess there is a minimum distance of wavelenghts of sloping terrain required
to take
advantage of such topography regarding antenna take-off angles and HFTA.

In the desired azimuths for contesting, the slopes range (tricky eye guessing)
between 25 and 45 degrees (46% to 100% slope) referenced to the horizontal.

I wonder if it is worth to do some surveying for terrain profiling on said hill
for HFTA analysis or should I just don't bother because the hill's height is
not enough and/or its slope to the flat terrain is too short.

73

David
HK1A
EC5KXA