Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA question
From: cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:12:52 EST

In a message dated 1/21/2010 3:50:05 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
jim@audiosystemsgroup.com writes:

HFTA can  handle any distance that you choose to enter. The limitation is
the
number  of data points for each radial. So there would be no problem
including
that mountain in your analysis.

One additional piece of info.  The further away the terrain  the less of an
effect it will have.  N6BV was kind enough to run some  numbers for me and
the numbers for the terrain were computed up to around  14000 ft.  He told
me there was no reason to go to any further than  that.

If the land surrounding your location is just slightly hilly  without big
dips and so forth you can probably get by with a number for every  100 feet
running out to maybe 5000 ft.  That would make it easier to input  the
numbers if you are using Google Earth.  If you saw a big difference  from the
"flat terrain" I would continue to run the numbers out  further.

I'm a firm believer in the program, but one caveat......The program  starts
to break down when you start putting like antennas too close to each  other
in stacks.  The gain figures become inflated.  As long as you  keep the
antennas at least 1/2 wavelength apart, the numbers should be  good.

Bill KH7XS