Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR
From: "F.R. Ashley" <gdadx2@clearwire.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:42:38 -0500
Doug & others,

I am going to put up a new antenna this spring, and my choices came down to
either a LP, such as the T-10, or a 3-element SteppIR.
I decided on the T-10 for several reasons.   The main reason being I don't
desire moving parts, little wires and motors at 75 feet.  We get plenty of
lightning during the summer here so it would only be a matter of time before
something happened.  Weather is the main reason I ruled out a quad also, too
much freezing rain during the winter.
 Secondly, the SteppIR is too expensive;  I could stack 2 T-8's for about
the same price.   Additionally, my operating style is one of jumping from
band to band, and I don't want to have to tune my antenna every time I
change bands, even if it takes a short amount of time.  I think that would
get old rather quickly.
Like transceivers, all antennas have pros and cons, what works for me might
not work for you.  I just want an antenna I can put up and pretty much
forget about.

73 Buddy WB4M