Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:08:03 -0800
Doug Turnbull wrote:
> Buddy, Everything you say seems pretty sensible to me.   Thunderstorms are
> not muck of a problem in EI land but I wonder if Florida operators have much
> trouble with SteppIR. You can always retract all the elements when not using
> the SteppIR. One does wonder how the SteppIR will hold up after ten years.
> Thank you for your insights.
>                   73 Doug EI2CN

A very valid point about expected lifetime, particularly in the ham
world where people are used to using 50 year old radios.

20 years is a long time for an electromechanical system to last without
maintenance, and if that system happens to be up a 100 foot tower...
(Does your washing machine last that long?  If you bought it in the 60s
or 70s, probably, but if you bought it in the last 10 years, probably not)

That said, one doesn't hear lots of stories about "worn-out" SteppIRs,
and they've been out about 10=15 years, haven't they?  So one should
start hearing about it.

You hear about blown up controller boxes for one reason or another;
weather damage (not lightning, but wind/ice, it seems), etc.  The
weather damage is probably no different than conventional aluminum
antennas, except that the usual Yagi will keep working if the elements
are bent (judging by the antennas I see adjacent to the freeways, more
than half of all hams with beams have at least one element more than 15
degrees out of plane), so the non-SteppIR does have a "fail-soft"
degraded mode of operation.

There are complaints of motor/mechanism failures, but they're fairly
infrequent, and, to be fair, you hear complaints about conventional
antennas with broken traps, incorrect hardware, etc.  And, because
they're new and novel, the "reporting rate" on SteppIR problems is
higher than for conventional antennas (e.g. you're more likely to find
an online comment about a SteppIR problem than about a missing set of
clamps in some other antenna)

If the "not-perfect" rate is below, say, 1%, I'd say it's pretty good.
We're not launching spacecraft to Mars after all.  For the Fluidmotion
guys to drive the failure/DOA rate to 0.001% or something would drive
the price up to where nobody would buy them.