Re: [TowerTalk] Rainbow Towers - really BX

To: towertalk@contesting.com, mryan001@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rainbow Towers - really BX
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:52:14 EST

In a message dated 2/24/2010 12:01:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>   I can appreciate someone wanting something that  is
self supporting, but I recall seeing in the old catalog from ROHN that  they
were pictured with television antennas on  them.

        Yep, they were designed to  be TV antenna towers.

        Besides the aforementioned  PITA to climb or work on (I refer to
them as meat grinders - your feet take a  real beating even with real live
leather climbing boots), the X diagonals don't  even meet which takes away lots
of torsional resistance and the spaces  between diagonals are a common
failure point. Also, they are held together with  aluminum rivets - not the
best
material for that.

        Another problem is that the  twisting of the tower due to ham type
tribander loads tends to crack the  rotator shelves which are just sheet
metal.

        Be aware of their  limitations and they'll work okay.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH