Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Motor

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Motor
From: GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:45:18 -0700 (PDT)
George is dead on with his comments. I used a "modified" PP for many years. It
worked fine but needed to be fixed about every two years. The standard
"modification" consisted of cutting off the top-most gear from the output
shaft. This output shaft was then drilled and bolted to the planetary gear
cluster buy drilling/tapping corresponding holes in it. The bolts can sheer or
work loose at the very least (I've had both). I had custom-made brass pieces
installed in mine and even with helicoil inserts, loktite, and hardened bolts
it would all loosen up over time. BTW, I'm turning a TH6 and a 40-2CD - nothing
really big.

Luckily, I obtained another PP (unmodified) And used the parts from it to
return mine to stock configuration. It takes about a minute & 45 seconds to
rotate a full 360 degrees now but you can turn just about anything you want
even in high winds. I'm VERY happy that I returned mine to the unmodified
configuration.

I would not recommend turning anything big with a modified PP unless you like
doing repairs.

73, Stew K3ND