Re: [TowerTalk] Trouble mounting T-2X (follow up)

To: Bob Alexander <realex@flash.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trouble mounting T-2X (follow up)
From: w4lde <w4lde@numail.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:38:38 -0400
Thanks to everyone who help with my problem.  I did make that trip to
ACE and got some great help from the staff.

First the bolts that were supplied are indeed a 5/16" x 18 at 1 5/8"
long.  With the help of a magnifier and some sharp lighting we inspected
the threads and they looked complete to the inside end of the casting,
We tired a 1 5/8" from ACE and got the same results, started to bind at
about 1".  We tried a 1 1/4" length and got close to full turn in but no
cigar.  A 1" would easily screw in.  So I bought both a 1" and a 1 1/4"
and will await a call back from the manufacturer and ask for there
recommendations.

The 1 1/4" should work since the mounting plate is 3/16 to 1/4" plus we
have a locking washer under the bolt head.

It appears that the inner ring was not drilled out enough or tapped to
allow the bolt to extend deep enough, however the casting was completely
threaded.  Just may have to send the new unit back and wait on a new one.

If indeed the 1 1/4" tightens as expected then I can not see where any
additional strength comes to having the bolt go beyond the cast section.

Again thanks to everyone whom responded, lots of great ideas and help.

73 de
Ron W4LDE