Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor Rehab Question

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor Rehab Question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:47:43 -0400

Stu Ritter wrote:
>  ronald schmid wrote:
>

>> Something to remember. This is not a high speed situation like wheel
>> bearings or races. You want a grease that stays the same consistency in both
>> hot temperatures and cold temperatures.
>>

> There is an excellent grease put out by Mobil as Mobil 1 Synthetic chassis
> grease. It fits all the requirements of a rotator and is quite cheap at places
> like Wally World. Comes in a standard grease gun insert cartridge. I think
> I paid about $4 for my tube which will do way more rotors than most mortals
> own.

Probably the best grease I've seen is BR-2 (Beryllium Dioxide grease).
It's a low consistency  grease designed for high pressure, low RPM
applications. It has a very low coefficient of friction.  To quote the
add,  "Dow Corning® BR2-Plus Multi-Purpose E.P. Grease is a lithium-soap
grease suitable for use over a wide temperature range; good resistance
to oxidation, hot and cold water and good corrosion inhibiting properties."

The White Lithium grease is still a very good "all around" grease that
is stable across a wide temperature range and I've never seen it harden
or dry out...yet. That said, my operating conditions are a very small
sample of even those on the reflector.

73

Roger (K8RI)