Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor Rehab Question

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor Rehab Question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:51:33 -0400

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
> As far as Hy-Gain-type rotators greasing goes,  Hy-Gain recommends an
> all-purpose grease - something that's not very thick and  not thin. You want
> it
> to stick to the bearings without gumming them up. I think  they suggested a
> lithium grease.
I think that's where I started using it. I do have a manual, but it's
out in the shop.<:-))
> (I'm going on memory and experience here - I  don't have a
> manual to look at.) They also suggest an amount equal to a  thimbleful of
> grease. Any more is too much.

You hit on a major problem. Most people use far too much grease on a
rotator. They think of packing bearings, or packing a gear case.

>     If you live in an area where it freezes, you may  want to use a
> snowmobile grease for it's low temp capability.

We get to minus 15 or 20 at times and I've had no problems with the gear
case of the PST-61 packed with the White Lithium grease.
> Cheers,
> Steve    K7LXC
> TOWER TECH

73