Re: [TowerTalk] Finding the highest quality PL-259 Connectors

To: WW3S <ww3s@zoominternet.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Finding the highest quality PL-259 Connectors
From: Tõnno Vähk <Tonno.Vahk@gafm.ee>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 20:32:51 +0000
I have just investigated the same topic - selecting UHF cable males.

I am a little confused as the Amphenol specs say:

83-1SP - silver plated
83-822 - TFE insulated
83-886-2050 - TFE insulated AND silver plated

Two first ones retail ca USD 4 (or 83-822 slightly more) and the last one ca
USD 10!

So obvious question is:

Does 83-1SP really have Teflon insulation??

And what is better for ham  - TFE or silver plating?

I used 83-822 previously and was very satisfied. They are very good to solder.
So why would I need the silver plating if 83-822 is very easy to install and
has definitely TFE?? I would go with 83-822 not 83-1SP any time now...

73
Tonno
ES5TV