Re: [TowerTalk] SPG or whatever it is called now, to coax entrance grou

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SPG or whatever it is called now, to coax entrance ground question
From: "Jeff kb2m" <kb2m@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 08:25:29 -0400
Ok. I have lots of info available about grounding to follow but as I didn't
get the SPG to start with I'm thinking of doing the following...

>EZ Rhino wrote:
> Since you're starting from scratch, and since you apparently want to do
this right the first time, what about doing a >complete ground system like
we read in the Polyphaser papers (and elsewhere, including ARRL articles) in
which you surround >the entire house with copper, with grounds rods at the
corners and interspersed between?  And how about using copper strap >(lower
inductance) rather than cable?  Just a thought.  Sure is nice to do this
before the landscaping and concrete go in.

!From the PolyPhaser website....

!All radials should be run away from the equipment building. The more
radials there are, the more the current is divided. A !perimeter ground
system (ring) around the building will help form an equipotential plane. If
this ring is approximately equal !(in length) to each radial and if eight
radials are used, each will have 1/9 the total surge energy. This will leave
only 1/9 !the strike energy to the equipment building perimeter ground.

But what happens if I don't put the other recommended 8 equal length radials
in? The perimeter wire around the house will be  240'. I don't see how I can
do all of this with the TWO towers that are within 70' of each other. If I
can't put in the 15 other 240' radials what is a good compromise? Should I
not encircle the house ?

Also I'm still not sure if I want to place the boxes right on the
foundation. I have plenty of room as I have a full basement and can simply
mount them right on the concrete. Or should I be a few feet away. I would
prefer flush mounting.

Like I've been reading here, all of this involves compromise. I was really
looking for some input from people who have gone either way (on just these
two items) had a hit and would advise to do, or do otherwise.

Giving a cup of coffee to the hired laborer with shovel :>)

73 Jeff kb2m