Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: shack wiring

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: shack wiring
From: John Ammeter <jammeter@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:47:19 -0700
The wire from the pole to the house is intentionally undersized for a
reason.  It's to limit the fault current should a line to line or line
to ground short occur in your meter socket or house panel.

The wire size is chosen based on distance from the xmfr to the house and
current limiter requirements.

When I had the power company install my underground service they
initially installed a smaller size conductor.  I asked them if that puny
wire was going to used as a pull wire??.....  They replaced it with 350
MCM Aluminum for my 400 Amp service.  For the relatively short run
either would have worked but it's much easier to simply install larger
wire at first rather than change it out later should I actually find I
need larger wire.  I worked for an electric utility at the time and
could "speak their language" so got great service from the crew....

John Ammeter
KE7JA