Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Rotor Speed

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Rotor Speed
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 14:27:13 -0500
Roger,

Normally I would agree with your suggestion. However, the RotorEZ circuitry
is designed to operate using the conventional feedback pot with the wiper
grounded and each end of the pot is a feedback line going to the processor.

The center of the pot is grounded and each end is fed with +5vdc through a
resistor. Each end must produce a range of approximately 0v to +4v to the
processor. One end must be at 0v while the other is at full 4v. These
numbers are reversed when going to the other stop. in practice the voltage
does not actually have to reach the exact ends because the unit has
calibration references to compensate for slight variations on both ends of
the rotation.

I'm sure circuitry could be designed to provide the correct voltages from a
multi-turn pot, but I did not want to modify the basic circuitry of the
controller. With the gear ratio I incorporated, the pot stops about 5
degrees past each end limit. Then with the spring loaded arm, it will go
several more degrees before the spring arm would disconnect. This setup is
easily within the range of the RotorEZ calibration adjustments.

Besides I already had a nice sealed 500 ohm wirewound pot in my "Treasure
chest". So I built around it mechanically.

     73's Jim
      W5IFP

/snip/