Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Rotor Speed

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Rotor Speed
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 14:25:13 -0500
Kip,

You can't just pick a speed and have it fit all antennas.
You have to consider the antenna and its weight/size/mechanical
construction.
If you run it too fast there will be a strain on the antenna elements.
Too slow you will not like the response time.

As An example I use a Prop Pitch rotor and it is rotating a TH6 and a 14 el
2M beam on top of that.
I use a variable power supply and have it set to rotate stop to stop in
about 30 seconds. That is about the fastest I would consider on an antenna
this size. my rotor is located near the bottom of the tower and I use a
water pipe mast(drive shaft) up through the tower. So It also has to rotate
45 ft of pipe. Some have indicated that I'm running it too fast, however I
have had the same rotor for about 40 years and the same antenna
configuration for about 25 years. I have seen some antennas that are
mechanically dinky and I would never consider running them that fast.

How is that for a "beat around the bush" answer?

     73's Jim
      W5IFP