Re: [TowerTalk] Crimped PL-259's

To: Tommy Alderman <aldermant@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimped PL-259's
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:50:08 -0700
Tommy Alderman wrote:
> I disagree with that statement!
>
> Just look at the frequency range usage specification for various types of
> connectors. Anything beyond that can be covered under the word 'marketing'!
> Except on high quality test equipment and large coax, if you use crimp
> connectors at frequencies over about 500 MHz, you WILL get into trouble.
> Over a gigahertz, this should not really be a problem because, really, over
> a gigahertz one should switch to SMA type connectors and semi-rigid coax.

I'd go for using SMA, etc. at microwave frequencies. And I'd much prefer
a crimp connector over a solder on connector as well (and so do people
who worry about reliability, etc.).

Solder SMA on semirigid is asking for microcracks, etc. at the joint.
Crimping is more reliable, gas-tight, etc. and stands up to vibration
and thermal cycling MUCH better.

The disadvantage is the $500 in tooling required to install the connectors.