Re: [TowerTalk] Remote control of elevation/lowering

To: "Fred Serota" <fserota@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote control of elevation/lowering
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:20:39 -0700
Fred Serota wrote:
> Has anyone wired the control box of a US Towers MD750 to control the
> lowering of the tower from the house(shack). Although the company sells a

I have an HDX-5106 with the factory control box, which I have never
used.  I always operate it locally.  I also have the "secret" schematics
for the tower and remote box.  What I don't like about the UST
solution is that it sends 120VAC over the control cabling.

If you want to remote control the tower, just wire a couple of relays
with 12V coils across the up/down switch and control it via CAT5 cable.
Optionally, you can wire the 120VAC coils of a couple of relays across the
limit switches, and the relays will give you contact closures indicating
fully up or fully down.  The contact closures would go over the remaining
CAT5 wires.  The only other thing the UST remote does is switch power to
the control relay.  You can add another little relay to control this
relay if you want.

That's all you need.  You don't need the UST box.  There is no
rocket science in the remote box.

I'll agree with the other posters that I like to be there in
person to make sure nothing is going wrong with the tower.  I
might go to a remote box, however, so I don't have to stand
right next to the tower to flip the switch.  I worry about a loose
element falling off the antenna or something during raising/lowering.

Rick N6RK