[TowerTalk] Phillystran Questions

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Questions
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX" <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 12:21:09 -0500
  I had never used Phillystran before, but am currently using the light
duty grade (1200 lb. tensile) for stabilizing a long aluminum tubing
stinger atop an aluminum tower.

Based on recommendations from the supplier and info from this forum, I
used 1/8" (or 3/16"?)  cable clamps to secure the ends of the
Phillystran.  They had been in place for about a month when I undid one
set to make some adjustments to the guy.  I noticed that the clamps had
compressed or made deep cuts in the the Phillystran so that it appeared
that its strength was probably compromised.  When I reclamped the
adjusted cable, I didn't tighten the clamps to  the same degree as I had
originally because of my concern for cutting into the cable.  I'm
wondering whether these cuts are normal and don't seriously reduce the
strength of the installation or not?  Should I have used a torque wrench
or similar to tighten the clamps?

Also, end caps were supplied for the cable.  Are these merely decorative
or do they serve some other function?

I'd appreciate any info that the forum can provide.

73, Joe
K2XX