Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:24:44 +0000
Paul,

It's not really counter-intuitive when you remember that at HF the vast
majority of feedline losses are I*I*R losses and therefore driven by the
current that is being carried. If we have a 150 Ohm Resistive component
to the load - no matter what its Reactance - the current into the load
must be 57.7% that of the matched case when dissipating the same power.
That means that *right adjacent to the load* the feedline power loss per
unit length will be 1/3 that of the matched case. It's only further back
along the line, where the current standing wave begins to "develop"
higher currents, that the losses increase and eventually overtake the
matched-line losses.

ARRL's TLW software gets it right. Now, if they would just correct their
hopelessly optimistic loss figures for ladderline, it would be a useful
programme ;)

73,
Steve G3TXQ