Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating

To: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:14:00 -0800
Steve Hunt wrote:
> Paul,
>
> It's not really counter-intuitive when you remember that at HF the vast
> majority of feedline losses are I*I*R losses and therefore driven by the
> current that is being carried. If we have a 150 Ohm Resistive component
> to the load - no matter what its Reactance - the current into the load
> must be 57.7% that of the matched case when dissipating the same power.

The current could be higher or lower.  Say you've got a 150 ohm resistor
in parallel with a 150 ohm inductor.  The current that flows through the
inductor also flows through the feedline, and contributes to the loss.

Or, if you've got the resistor and inductor in series.  Now the current
flow will be even less. (by a factor of 70%).

that's the difference between apparent power (Irms * Vrms) and active
and reactive power.