Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 19:00:25 +0000
Paul,

The only calculator I fully trust is Owen's (VK1OD). For 10ft or RG213
terminated in 150+j130 at 3.5MHz, his calculator gives a loss of
0.0138dB compared to a matched loss of 0.0351dB.

Of course, if you want to think in terms of "the loss attributed to
SWR", in that scenario it would have to be a negative figure and
therefore appear as "gain". But as I said before, I believe that phrase
is unhelpful because it implies that a non-unity VSWR must always
introduce extra loss, whereas we know that isn't true!

73,
Steve G3TXQ