Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 01:50:43 -0500

On 11/30/2010 11:09 PM, jimlux wrote:
> Dan Bookwalter wrote:
>> Ok , i have seen several discussions regarding what people are using for
>> ground
>> rods.... some use actual 5/8" ground rods , while others use 1/2" copper
>> pipe ,
>> thoughts on which is better ?
>>
>> also i was thinking about using 4ft ground rods instead of 8 footers , but
>> use
>> twice as many of them , it is much easier to drive the 4 footers  , thoughts
>> ?
>>

> Why are you driving ground rods at all (not as silly a question as you
> might think)?
>
> Is it for electrical code compliance?
> Is it for lightning grounding?
I find only the first two to be applicable to most tower installations.
I have 32 or 33 8' ground rods cadwelded to a network/grid of over 600
feet of bare #2 copper.(purchased BEFORE the price went up)
The single point ground for the house/shack is part of this network at
the entrance bulkhead.

73

Roger (K8RI)