Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Using aluminum wire [or aluminum clad wire]

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Using aluminum wire [or aluminum clad wire]
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:45:29 -0800
On 12/30/2010 12:29 PM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
> I wonder if we can use wire nuts to make the connections to Al wires in
> antennas. Simple and cheap. Any comments?
I think the  best is the aluminum crimp sleeves. Mechanically and electrically
sound, and lots of surface area.

If you're going Al to Cu, I would think for our purposes waterproofing the
whole
think will prevent any corrosion issues. (for the lifetimes we deal with)

  I recently used 1/8" nicropress Al crimp sleeves on 12.5 gauge aluminum
(beverage) but I notice they sell crimp sleeves for electric fence wire sized
for 12.5 gauge and also 14/16 gauge (or larger, see page 9 of the Kencove
catalog).
(I had a nicropress crimper already)

Something else that surprised me:
Stainless Steel split bolts.. at only $1 apiece. I had never seen SS split
bolts
before.

small holds up to four 12.5 gauge, large holds up to eight wires.

catalog page 9 here
http://www.kencove.com/fence/Assets/catalog/?code=C2LAL&page=9
<http://www.kencove.com/fence/Assets/catalog/?code=C2LAL&page=9>

-kevin