Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Using aluminum wire [or aluminum clad wire]

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Using aluminum wire [or aluminum clad wire]
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:08:31 -0500
On 12/30/2010 03:45 PM, Kevin Normoyle wrote:

> If you're going Al to Cu, I would think for our purposes waterproofing the
> whole
> think will prevent any corrosion issues. (for the lifetimes we deal with)

I go Al to Cu to get from my 80m loop to my balun.  I want some
flexibility in the wire that goes to the balun, so I use 14ga
stranded THHN copper for the final foot or so (a loop from the
center insulator to the balun).

The procedure I use for connecting Al to Cu is as follows:

1) tin the copper so none of it is directly exposed, as a
    side benefit this results in the end of the copper wire
    acting as solid not stranded

2) use some fine sand paper to remove the inevitable oxide
    from the end of the aluminum wire

3) coat both wire ends in NoAlox

4) stick each end of the wire into another side of one of
    the blocks from a european style terminal strip, like:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103231

5) tighten both screws on both wires, they are now very firmly
    connected to each other and to the terminal strip connector

6) wrap the connection in coax seal

I have had no problems with connections like this.  They are
easy to make and appear to be rock solid.

I'd be interested in any opinions on my method, especially ways
to improve it :)

--
All rights reversed.