Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower TX-472

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower TX-472
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:05:38 -0800
A good 1/2" drill and an adapter to the manual winch is another way to
go, although it won't have pull down.  My 2 speed gearbox variable speed
motor reversible Milwaukee (Model # 5380-21  $160 at Home Depot) surely
has enough torque on low with a decent winch and you can put together a
square drive adapter with 8 point sockets from McMaster for about $20
and have a great drill in your toolbox.

Grant KZ1W

On 1/3/2011 11:53 PM, Victor Morris wrote:
> I would think twice about the US Tower motor, then think again. I recently
> purchased an MDP 750 motor for the TMM-433 HD tower. Despite a professional
> installation that exceeded stated US Tower specs, my motor burned out after
> four months use. Note: I used 10 gauge wire w/ only a 50' run to a dedicated
> 20 amp breaker box.
>
> After a lot of ignored phone calls and emails, US Tower finally agreed to
> accept the motor for warranty service. Shipping cost to them at my expense
> not theirs.
>
> I will also warn you that US Tower provides extremely minimal installation
> instructions, and even worse, no wiring diagrams for the outside remote
> cabinet or the motor. I described my issues on Tower Talk a bit over two
> weeks ago.
>
> If you are fortunate enough to get a motor that works properly, I hope you
> have many years of trouble free service.
>
> 73 and Aloha, Vic, AH6WX

snip