Re: [TowerTalk] Force12 rivets

To: "'Barry Gross'" <n1eu.barry@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force12 rivets
From: Ed Muns <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:37:05 -0800
Barry, N1EU, asked:
> I'm not sure if Force12 still uses riveted construction of
> yagi elements.
>  In any event, I just experienced my first rivet failure on
> my C3S (great timing, huh?) and would like to avoid repeating
> this experience.  What is the tried and true wisdom on
> preventing rivet failure on these antennas?

N6BT always advised me to put three rivets at each location, 120 degrees
apart around the element.  On smaller diameters, only two may be possible
and even they may have to be staggered.  What you are trying to prevent is
any wiggle that will, in time, break the rivets.

This has (anecdotally) worked for me for two decades in a high-wind
location.

Ed - W0YK