Re: [TowerTalk] Bay Area Structural Engineer Needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bay Area Structural Engineer Needed
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:43:56 -0800
On 3/11/11 2:44 PM, Jerry Gardner wrote:
> I visited the county (Contra Costa, CA) building department this morning to
> inquire about a permit for my tower project. They require structural plans
> and drawings stamped by a licensed California PE.
>
> Does anyone know of a PE in the East Bay (Concord area) who can undertake
> this work (and not charge an arm and a leg)?

Can't say anything about arms and legs, but you can search the state
database of engineers..http://www.pels.ca.gov/

I'd expect several hundred bucks would be a reasonable price for the
job.  It's not just a matter of "oh, I see someone else stamped, so I'll
stamp it too"

To be legal, you have to really review the calculations and make sure
that all the assumptions match the local rules and assumptions (things
like bearing strength of soil, other material properties, etc.)

Typical hourly rates are in the $100/hr range for small jobs..(Liability
and E&O insurance is a fortune these days...)

You might be able to find someone in the ARRL Volunteer Consulting
Engineer list who would at least get you started cheaply (or let you do
some of the needed grunt work).

W6RMK (who's also E16972)