Re: [TowerTalk] Bay Area Structural Engineer Needed

To: Steve Jones <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bay Area Structural Engineer Needed
From: Jerry Gardner <jerryw6uv@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 15:58:39 -0800
On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Steve Jones <n6sj@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Good luck, I feel for you, because they never give you a complete list of
> requirements when you apply.  It seems as if they make up the rules as they
> go along!

Thanks, Steve. I know what you mean about it seeming like they make up the
rules as they go along. Neither of the two guys I spoke to in the country
building department had ever heard of amateur radio and assumed I was
planning to put up a cell tower or radio station tower on my property.

The worst news coming out of my visit to the county office was them telling
me I live in a section of the county under the jurisdiction of a special
planning commision and have to apply for a use permit before I can even
apply for a building permit. This requires a $500 fee (which may increase if
the planner takes more time to work through the details), site visit,
notification of neighbors, etc., and will take at least two months. Then, if
they approve, I can apply for a building permit. :-(

73, Jerry