Re: [TowerTalk] Complex Guying Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com, n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Complex Guying Question
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 15:38:22 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/2011 12:01:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I have a 97' Rohn 25 tower mounted on a pier pin.  The  guys are at 92,
61, and 31 feet above ground.  The tower has 2 C-3E  tribanders at 69 and
98 feet, and an EF-240 on a 10-foot mast above the  top yagi.  We're in a
pretty benign wind  environment.

>  Now here's the complex part.  I want to  re-tension the guys, which were
originally set a number of years ago at  400 lb all around, and I figured
as long as I am doing this job, I should  do it better, if possible.
Why?  Because each guy set is made  of different material, and I suspect
that should/might influence the  desired pre-set tension.

>  The top guys are 6700-lb  Phillystran down to about 15 feet above
ground,
and 3/16 EHS below  that.  I know it's a mismatch, but I got the Philly
guy sets  cheap.

>  The second set of guys use Joslyn 21-foot fiberglass  power-pole
insulators on the tower end, and 3/16 EHS the rest of the way  to the
ground.  These insulators are only a little heavier than EHS  of the same
length, but pretty stiff, as you might  expect.

>  The third set are 3/16 EHS all the way, insulated at  the tower.

>  My question is this - what, if any, adjustment  would you make to the
400-lb pre-tensioning value for each guy  set?

        I'm not sure what your  question is but this is a typical
plumb-and-tension job. Start at the bottom and  make sure the segment below the
bottom guys is plumb. When it is,  tension the guys to the prescribed tension.
Repeat as necessary as you  go up the tower to the next set of guys.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams