Re: [TowerTalk] Complex Guying Question

To: <n4zr@contesting.com>, "TowerTalk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Complex Guying Question
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 20:01:46 -0400
Other than optimization, is there any reason to change the tension from 400
lbs? Does the tower sway? Do any of the guys sag too much?

If not, I would leave the tension at 400 lbs. Why? Tensioning guys to 10% of
breaking strength is the recommendation I've read here on TT most often, so
I would assume that's what tower and/or guy manufacturers recommend (I'm
such a trusting soul when it comes to my fellow TTers!) 400 lbs is a tad
over 10% of the breaking strength of 3/16" EHS (3,990 lbs), which probably
has the lowest breaking strength of the three materials being used. Seeing
as how 3/16" EHS is being used at all three levels, it makes sense to set
the tension to the recommended value for that material.

I suspect that what you really want to know is whether the tension can be
different at different levels, given the different materials. If you weren't
using 3/16" EHS leaders (i.e., if the breaking strength was uniform at each
level), I would guess that it doesn't matter as long as the tension on all
three guys at a give level is the same.

73, Dick WC1M