Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Round or Square?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Round or Square?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:11:44 -0400
On 10/26/2011 1:28 PM, Richard Thorne wrote:
> I'm finally getting some dirt work done in the next day or two at my new
> place which will include holes/concrete for my 45g tower.
>
> I plan on using a pier pin install, so does it matter if the base is
> square or round?

No. I see the occasional self supporting cell tower that has a round
base and some of those are pretty deep.  Typically contractors use
straight sided, metal forms which is probably one of the reasons we see
rectangular bases.

But those are self supporting.  The base for a guyed tower and
particularly a pier pin install does very little in comparison. it has
to be large enough to keep the tower base from moving to the side and
wide enough to prevent the tower weight plus downward force from the
guys and antennas to cause the base to sink in the particular soil.

As with self supporting towers the taller the tower the more important
the base.

73

Roger (K8RI)

   The rohn book calls for a 2' 6" square hole 4' deep